KenCrest provides Supported Independent Living services to individuals who desire to live independently in the community. Through comprehensive and flexible supports, we enable individuals to live as independently as possible in the community and residence of their choice. We serve Pennsylvania residents in the following counties: Bucks, Montgomery, Berks, Philadelphia, Delaware, and Chester.
Supported Independent Living Services
There are three services under the Supported Independent Living umbrella:
- Unlicensed Residential Living – Individuals live in a property that is owned or leased by KenCrest
- Supported Independent Living – Individuals own or lease their own home
- In-Home Community Supports – Individuals live independently in the community but do not have funding for the other two services; they may need supports specific to living independently.
KenCrest finds new apartments for accepted referrals. We are never at capacity and can accept referrals at any time, and we strive to find apartments based on the individual’s wishes and needs.
In our Supported Independent Living program, we use a person-centered philosophy to develop a program that is unique to the individual being supported. At the outset of someone being referred to our program, we use LifeCourse tools to help us learn about what is important for them to have the life they want, what supports they need and want, and how we can help support them to live their best life and accomplish goals that are most important to them.
As a person’s needs, desires for support, and life change, we are able to work right alongside them to help with those needs and changes. We encourage people to have relationships with whom they want and how they want. We also support those who are parents, enabling them to continue living an everyday, meaningful life.
What sets us apart is that each person—if they do not have a home picked out—receives the support of a Realtor to help them find the home of their choosing in the area they choose. This enhances the person’s experience in truly having control over where and how they want to live. We also offer 24-hour on-call services by trained personnel in case of an emergency.
Some examples of services available to a person in Supported Independent Living may include:
- Development of daily living skills including menu planning, shopping skills, and home maintenance
- Development of money management skills
- Scheduling and attending medical appointments, communicating with healthcare professionals, and following up on healthcare needs
- Accessing and participating in their community through staff support, or receiving help to access public transportation or ride sharing services
- Accessing the local services
Click here to read about a resident in KenCrest’s Supported Independent Living program as he adjusts to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Activity Club is an informal social club that all individuals we support are welcome to participate in. All activities are generated by the individuals and staff who work with them. We offer a variety of activities each month such as bowling, dances, arts & crafts activities, breakfasts, lunches, and coffee gatherings, to name just a few.