Happy Birthday to us….June 5, 2016
Last I checked we did not have anyone on staff or in our services who is 111 years old. But as an organization, we have every right to enjoy our 111th. It takes a strong will, a focused Board of Directors, passionate staff, and a commitment to the needs of people we serve to have this many years of success.
I love birthdays. I especially like the cake! But birthdays have come to mean much more than cake and presents. They are opportunities to celebrate achievements. And we have many….
- We created and funded Philadelphia’s first classroom for special education in Kensington.
- We created the first group home in Pennsylvania.
- We closed the River Crest center, bringing new possibilities to the lives of people on that campus and, with proceeds from the sale of the property, endowing a fund for continued innovation by our staff.
- We started the Rod Hibbard Fund through which we have raised and granted over $275,000 of emergency support to staff.
- We created the first group home in Delaware.
- We proudly operate the highest quality inclusive early education program in Pennsylvania for the children most in need of a great start in life.
And there is plenty more … but we need to also think about the future. What will we do next? We are developing a list of goals that will require the commitment of all of us. I have met over 200 staff and Board members to create the list. Goals are meant to be achieved and to be amended. So before these goals are released, I ask you … what contribution are you hoping to make. What can you offer that will help us continue to shine in the lives of the people and families we support? If there is one goal that you see that is more important than any other possible achievement, I need to hear it.
It’s our birthday. Make a wish. And put yourself in the center of it.
Pass the message along. Get your co-workers to sign onto their email and read this message. Look next week for another survey and raffle. I will not rest until every employee is connected. Next week, the goals will hit the blog posts and I will ask you again. How do you see yourself as a critical part of our success?
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY KenCrest!!! 111 years strong.