I Want to Start a Movement: Bring Light into Work and Life
In every place I have ever worked and in every neighborhood where I have ever lived there are complaints. It is pretty much the same everywhere. See if you recognize any of these:
- That will never work.
- That’s not how we do things here.
- They will never understand.
- We tried that a few years ago and failed.
- That woman/guy just doesn’t get it.
- What were they thinking?
- There is no way that person will help.
- Those people will never get along.
All these expressions of frustration create beliefs. We will act on our beliefs. More often than not, we act in ways to make sure that our point of view will remain true. In other words, we act in ways that keep our frustrations alive and well.
I would challenge all of you to make your list of complaints. Then, ask yourself the question: if you could change one, what would it be? Shine some light on it.
Ask yourself some questions:
- How does it serve me to keep that belief?
- Is there a question I can ask which would help me understand the other perspective?
- Is there something I can do to make something successful this time around?
Most challenges have more than one really good solution. We will never find them if all we hear are the negatives. If you are considering a new year’s resolution, skip the ‘gym and diet’ one- those have been done. Pick something new- question and assumption. Let your light shine. Happy New Year.